Subject: [Leica] Technology, Ted and Tina
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 09:41:25 -0500

At 08:27 AM 11/6/2009, you wrote:

>Sorry to be such a grouch, but I've been drinking IKEA coffee at
>home.  It's possibly made from roasted ground particle board.
>
>Dante

You're probably right about the coffee!  I don't think you're a
grouch, though, and agree with most of what you had to say,
especially the part about the market being flooded with thousands of
photos whose owners only want to see their name in print in exchange
for publication!  Prices for published photos have dropped
drastically in the last few years.  By elitism, I didn't mean so much
spending money as the perceived value of spending time and
effort.  Of course handcrafted items cost more than mass produced,
but I consider any inkjet print made on a professional printer using
custom inks and printed on art paper to be handcrafted.  I haven't
had any galleries in years turn down prints because they are printed
on an inkjet printer.  You can call them pigment prints or even
glicee (yuck!) but anyone who sees them knows they are not printed at
an office supply store.  And, by the way, check out some art
galleries on line.  Lots of former watercolor artists are using
computers and software to create their work now ;-)  I admire anybody
who takes the time and makes the effort to still work in the darkroom
these days, but I don't think any photo made in the darkroom is
automatically "better" than any photo printed on an inkjet printer.

YMMV!!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com