Subject: [Leica] 28mm Summicron + M8 on Auto = Overexposure?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 01:33:58 -0400

> BTW, I think it was Tina that said she always underexposed, then expanded
>> the image using LR.
>>
>> Frank Filippone
>> red735i at earthlink.net
>>

> It's true, I used to do this and underexpose by 1/3 stop, but after
> reading lots of reviews and trying some experimenting myself, I've
> decided that it's better to slightly overexpose, if anything.  With
> digital, it's better to recover the highlights than the shadows. Trying
> to add details to an underexposed shadow exposes lots of noise.  So I've
> gone back to 0, my shots look slightly overexposed at first but
> highlights can be recovered in LR.
>
> YMMV!
>
> Tina
> www.tinamanley.com

In my experience recovering lost highlights in digital is not much easier
than doing it with slides. Its near lost information.  I expose for the
highlights (making sure they are there) and let the shadows fall dark. I
agree removing them brings out noise but recovering highlights brings out
ziltch!

In medium format they over expose making for an opposite approach normal
digital photographers have to take when they go that route I thought.
Whey medium format would be different than 24x36 in the basic manner in
which you work I have no idea on.

Mark William Rabiner