Subject: [Leica] This one bounced
From: wendythurman at gmail.com (Wendy Thurman)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:02:23 +0500

It's a very technical pursuit.  Ginnie Springs is now a privately owned
operation that caters almost exclusively to the cave-diving community.
There are several systems there and none of them are grated.  Only divers
certified by the National Speleological Association or the National
Association of Cave Divers are allowed in the water with lights.  Peacock
Springs, one of my favorites, is watched over carefully by the Florida State
Park Rangers.  There are hundreds of others one can "sneak dive" but
thankfully the word has gotten out- don't do it unless you are trained.
Through self-policing and training, the community has eliminated most of the
deaths.

Carrying only one light in a cave system is asking to die.  Three at minimum
are required, divers must have a continuous guideline to the exit, and the
rule of thirds is adhered to with regard to gas consumption- when one-third
of the gas has been used, the dive is turned and the divers exit.

Wendy