Subject: [Leica] LCD Protector for M9
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:51:46 -0400

> On the other hand, the first M9 I got to handle here was a loan camera. The
> last user took it to Africa for an assignment. He also said that he never
> thought about the buttons on his shirt while the camera was on his neck for
> the shoot. The LCD was completely covered with fine abrasions. Possibly
> from
> shirt buttons, dust storms, marauding leopards or attempts to polish off
> the
> scratches from all of the above! Still functional but does reduce contrast
> and clarity of the display. I'd rather spend $20 or whatever on a
> protector. Your scratch mileage may vary ;-) Guess which LCD the next buyer
> might prefer when the time comes to sell the current camera following an
> attack of M10lust?

I predict the M10 will not be with us in the next decade.
And when it does we will be in the holographic age photography wise.
The pictures it takes will be revolving slowly in the middle of your living
room with better resolution than Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.
The M9 is a camera most of us can take to our graves.  Its good for the
duration. If I ever get one I'm sure not leaving mine to anybody. I'll be
making raw captures in hell. So I'll bring a cut off filter.

And M9-2 might come out with a few more or less features in the next year
but it won't be a thing we'd be needing to trade in for. It will just be a
different feature set. As in lower rez higher ISO.
And the M9-3 might be a tweak. But nothing to loose any sleep about.
Think of Tina's camera how it looks.
Think of Josef Koudelka's very brassy M4 he slept under benches with.
Photographers have a different approach to how they want their camera to
look after 5 or 10 years of hard use. They are proud of the fact their
cameras look like it's put in some work for them. The brassier the better.
But the internet photo crowd is all up on selling their cameras every very
few years with original caps and boxes in the same condition they bought it
for. They are very happy and proud of doing this and boast about deprecation
rates.
Me if after 5 years my camera was minty fresh I'd feel like I was the one
who deprecated and was in need of a major upgrade. Not my gear.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] LCD Protector for M9)