Subject: [Leica] BBC
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 20:15:22 +0200

Larry, the license fee is not that high (my son pays it now since he
studies in the UK). And don't forget that a lot of those great PBS
programs in the US in fact come from the BBC...I was an ardent
supporter of PBS when I lived in the US, and have over the years given
money to the local PBS stations in Gainesville, Tampa and Philadelphia
(that was our local station when we lived in NJ, and I still have a
couple of WHYY mugs to prove it...). The only exception was Buffalo in
1983, but that year our income was such that we were eligible for food
stamps, so I did not feel too guilty about freeloading on WBUR or
whatever the station was called.

BBC is the UK's greatest national treasure, much more important than
all the great museums and buildings put together. It is the best
example of what "soft power" means in today's post-imperial world. I
really hope that the Tory government which in all likelihood will take
over next June will not f**k it up.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain