Subject: [Leica] Still toying with getting a 75mm Summilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:59:09 -0400

> The 90/2 AA is still too brutal. This is 75
>
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/data/3190/32crop00111.jpg
>

>> Mark William Rabiner

A lot of the great photographers, Avedon, Penn, most modern photographers
don't go along with this approach to a lens to shoot people with;
That it should be less sharp than a lens you'd use for anything else.
I use the sharpest best performing lens I can find to shoot a portrait just
like I would to shoot a tree or a house or a dog or a car.
A better one than the 90 APO ASPH is hard to find.
And I don't go along with this opinion often expressed on the LUG that a
modern lens with an ASPH element in it is going to have a bad harsh out of
focus background. I've found that to be total baloney. And I have 16x20 wet
prints to prove it. I find that to be a justification who want to hold on to
their lens of decades back and not get a modern ASPH.  At least they are
getting better Bokeh. It's Baloney. The better designed a lens is the better
Bokeh you're going to get.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] Still toying with getting a 75mm Summilux)