Subject: [Leica] Still toying with getting a 75mm Summilux
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:59:54 -0400

On Fri 23, Oct'09 at  7:59 AM -0400, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> And I don't go along with this opinion often expressed on the LUG that a
> modern lens with an ASPH element in it is going to have a bad harsh out of
> focus background. I've found that to be total baloney.

I agree.  In fact, I find the 50/1.4 ASPH to have smoother bokeh than a lot
of shots I see from the pre-ASPH version.  Looking at highlights in the
bokeh, the pre-ASPH has bright rings (from over-correction of spherical
aberration?).  In the ASPH, it's just a smooth disk.  Granted, it's not
under-corrected which some people like for bokeh, like the ZM 50/1.5.

Every time I point the ASPH at someone for a portrait, I've been very
pleased with the results.  I can only imagine the 75/2 is better in this
regard due to it's longer focal length, but alas, it was either the 75 or
the 50 for me, and 50 fits in better in my world view.

Replies: Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Still toying with getting a 75mm Summilux)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Still toying with getting a 75mm Summilux)