Subject: [Leica] Still toying with getting a 75mm Summilux
From: richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:04:49 -0700

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Tim Gray <tgray at 125px.com> wrote:
> I agree. ?In fact, I find the 50/1.4 ASPH to have smoother bokeh than a lot
> of shots I see from the pre-ASPH version. ?Looking at highlights in the
> bokeh, the pre-ASPH has bright rings (from over-correction of spherical
> aberration?). ?In the ASPH, it's just a smooth disk. ?Granted, it's not
> under-corrected which some people like for bokeh, like the ZM 50/1.5.

Tim, the issue isn't that the 50/1.4ASPH 70/2'cron have harsh bokeh.
The issue is that, especially if you have th 75 'lux, and if you don't
mind the weight, then there is without question that the 75 'lux has a
smoother bokeh.

Sort of like, say the difference between

       A++++++++++++++++++++++ Mint!
on EBay, vs.

      NEW!

:-)

> Every time I point the ASPH at someone for a portrait, I've been very
> pleased with the results. ?I can only imagine the 75/2 is better in this
> regard due to it's longer focal length, but alas, it was either the 75 or
> the 50 for me, and 50 fits in better in my world view.

I love my 50/1.4ASPH for portraits as well.
http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/111206crop0009.jpg

Dr. Jim says this is one of the best pictures of him ever, but of
course I didn't shoot from the shadow side :-P

--
// richard m: richard @imagecraft.com
// w: http://www.imagecraft.com/pub/Portfolio09/ blog:

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Still toying with getting a 75mm Summilux)