Subject: [Leica] Looser Framing [was Re: recrop: [WAS Re: BOATING PAD #14 - Why Powerboaters Hate Sailors]]
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 18:49:09 +0200
References: <65F08CD7-6EB6-417A-89E8-C102AF485B42@comcast.net> <E188C3A8-A11E-4A29-AB70-FDB099ECCD6C@embarqmail.com> <205549.36295.qm@web111802.mail.gq1.yahoo.com> <6434C01A-AB0B-4597-B7AF-1AD971E79B93@comcast.net> <741512.5028.qm@web111810.mail.gq1.yahoo.com> <F9203C13-2239-4471-9B79-778F725CCFFB@comcast.net> <CDA95A68-4B90-4FF5-8982-CAAC43A1EDCE@frozenlight.eu> <5E31F48F-1A0C-4A1F-A023-B880164ABF9C@comcast.net>

While I appreciate the kind words, Dick, and you have previously
commented favorably on my style, perhaps I should clarify that I
sometimes do want to crop tightly, for example in the portrait of Bea
I posted yesterday (which is a largely uncropped image shot with a
50mm Summilux). But particularly when I am telling a story and each
individual picture therefore is part of a context, then I do like to
show more of the environment.

Now, I will tell the dirty secret: many of my shots are taken way too
loose, for example when I find myself with the 24mm or 35mm lens on
the camera and no time or opportunity to move in closer. So what? I
just crop as needed in Lightroom. While I am quite minimalist when it
comes to post-processing in general (blur filters in PS and the like
are an absolute no-no, for instance), I will happily crop away until I
like the image. And of course it helps that the image is made with
Leica equipment, as it allows more cropping without too much loss of
quality.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain