Subject: [Leica] No R-10
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:01:22 +1000

Some amplication to the best of my recollection:

Stefan said that an important factor for any possible future Leica digital
camera is that Leica developed and control all of the S2 design in house.
When he said that Leica was unhappy with current four thirds sensor quality
(noise) and a four thirds system camera was not planned, there were
rumblings from the floor and he was pressed about an EVF model (Electronic
ViewFinder for those not keeping up). He did not verbally respond to a
quastion whether Leica could design their own sensor. He asked for a show of
hands for who would buy such a camera. Perhaps one third or the room raised
their hands. Further question on the EVF resulted on a statement that Leica
regarded the Panasonic G1 as the very lowest acceptable quality for any such
hypothetical EVF. Another Japanese electronics manufacturer (not Fuji, Nikon
or Canon) was mentioned as a possible future partner. Leica also does not
intend to directly compete with Canon/Nikon on dSLRs.
Leica is also reportedly happy with their connection with Jen Optik but
not Imacon.
The German word that Herr Daniels used for the solution for R lenses (not
before next Photokina, too ambitious) was ad?quat if native German speakers
care to micro dissect his meaning.

--
Cheers
Geoff