Subject: [Leica] No R-10
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:31:32 +1000

2009/6/14 Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>

> What I'm hearing is:    Looking back in hindsight Leica in the past 2 years
> - having put an amazing amount of research and development and money and
> production and marketing into all kinds of new off the charts past cutting
> edge Leica glass. Leica knows now that the time has some to come out with a
> full frame M9 to get people using and buying it this cache of jewels as
> they
> pile up on the shelves of camera stores like little treasure troves.

Mark the issues with the development of the 18x27 current sensor design are
well documented. Herr Daniels emphasied that the S2 design being entirely in
house is important for any POSSIBLE future digital Leica. Recall that the S2
development is continuing right now and there is no current serial
production. A 24x36 sensor in an M mount camera is just speculation  and
wishes, whether actually possible at all (chiefly in the forums). If an
'adequate' solution to use current R glass will not be ready by next
Photokina and Leica acknowedges that they were hurt by the current financial
crisis, any POSSIBLE future M is hardly close right now. The S system
remains their highest priority.
M glass: I don't think they'll be coming out with anything wider than the 18
for an optical reason but also they've just come out with enough new glass
for a decade its just time now to put all that stuff to work.

leica already make a 16 (the 16-18-21)
Also said was that the 'completeness" of the current (very large) M lens
range did not mean tha some models would not possibly be updated.
By the way the Summilux 50 ASPH. now outsells the Summicron.

The 18 was very much due as photographers keep going wider and wider by the
year; the 18-35 was the standard over a decade ago.
At least a millimeter a month.
I'm going to assume when the M9 comes out with rather normal M6 pr MP frame
lines the 135 3.4 APO I love to use with be fully utilized. Not euthanized.
A 21mm is no longer wide.
Its in the middle of your zoom if you're using a DSLR.
And 18 isn't all the way to the left either. But close enough I'm sure.
Would not make me feel constricted.

Troubles on the coating of the f.95 sounds like what they told him to say.
Most of what he's saying does not sound so much in that category. Marketing
hype.

Mark I disagee. There was a very technical explanation on the specific
coating issue in technical German which was not recorded (too hard for my
Norwegian translator to follow all of it). Herr Daniel also indicated that
there has been expensive wastage on elements made so far. Still shooting for
July/August, I think.
What's really going on we could guess and guess.
I'm thinking they're considering how many units (lenses) they're going to
sell at 10 grand $ each and maybe they have other priorities. Like making
money. Building gear people will buy. The fact that the Noct .95 exists in
somebody's mind and somebody's shot with one is great PR enough. Leica has
THE big boy lens. The fun part is not actually coming out with it.

The arrogance of them not coming out with a phony release date on the S2! I
think they feel they have the confidence of the pro community who know that
some day their camera will be in hand and its not going to be just another
vaporgear Fig Newton of someone else's imagination.. Just be happy when that
happens. Think about other stuff time will pass quicker.
Leica has consitently said 'sumer  or late summer and indicated that they
were still on track. I don't know what you mean by arrogance on a release
date.
- Stefan Daniel a man of great humor and an asset to any contingency.
We've heard him yearly at the LHSA meetings for over a decade. And missed
him over the past couple.

That the 4/3's format has not captured Leica's imagination is no wonder to
me. With everyone even Daddy's on Christmas morning moving from cropped to
24x36 its no wonder that an optical company whose slant is quality would not
be wasting its time.
Is there something wrong like too big with a 43.3mm image circle?
Barnack would argue.

A question
?
The name S2.
?
Its the name of the Fujifilm body for nikon glass which is been there done
that replaced last year by the S3 and the whole thing seems to be tanking.
Does "S" mean something in German we don't know about? Super? Zuper?
I think they need to get their S in gear and come out with an original name.
Or acronym to astound the imagination.
With numbers too!

Mark William Rabiner