Subject: [Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy
From: rhart76 at gmail.com (Roger Hart)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:51:37 -0400

Today's announcement of the Pulitzer prizes are a good reminder that despite
the economic woes that are hitting newspapers and magazines hard these days,
good journalism is still being practiced (
http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=101&aid=162197). Among others,
journalists in Detroit were relentless in their pursuit of a corrupet mayor,
and got him, and his deputy/lover sent to jail. In Las Vegas, reporting on
the numerous deaths at construction sites around the Strip shed light on an
industry that was operating in a unsafe manner. Since the reporting, deaths
at construction sites have stopped.
Journalism is still a noble profession, but I agree that there are far fewer
practicing the art today than a few years ago. Our society depends upon a
"well-informed electorate." Once people using the internet become willing to
pay for their news -- and no, blogging isn't necessarily news -- the system
will right itself. Hopefully.