Subject: [Leica] Darkroom versus In-camera Creativity was G1 AVAILABLE LIGHT
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 10:14:40 -0700

Philip Clarke offered:

>> I cannot decide, should one shoot for the darkroom or shoot for a

straight print ? <<<<<<<<

Philip,

I've always shot for the best image right to film. However in the general
sense I am not a techie, even in the days of film so I never gave any
thought to darkroom while shooting whatever the assignment was. I can quite
honestly say.. "I never think about anything other than tripping the shutter
at precisely the right time!"  Never occurred to me what I'd have to do in
the darkroom other than, "damn I've got 300 rolls of film to soup and edit!"
:-( Oh yeah and print! :-)

In the darkroom it was always as straight a print with as little extra
dodging and burning as possible. Drop exposed paper in tray, swish swish, 90
seconds later into stop bath, swish swish and into fix!  Then to wash and
dry.

Digital?  I still don't think of any after shot manipulations at anytime!
Particularly these days when I constantly hear. "It'll be OK I can fix it in
Photoshop!" Which has become the biggest crap cop out for lousy electronic
instrument manipulators !!  They are not photographers!!

My goal? As always, the observation and capture of the moment is paramount.
Most of what I do in PhotoShop is, auto everything. If what I see isn't too
my liking from "auto adjustment" of levels, contrast etc. I cancel and try
some tiny bit manually by completely using my KISS principle method as my
photo career has dictated. "Keep it Simple Stupid! :-) I always try to have
the print come out looking like it was just shot and out of the wet tray. Or
certainly as close to the exposed image as possible with the least amount of
fiddling and manipulation as possible..

In other words what you get the moment the digi cam shutter goes click! Is
what you see in print. Yep and in the film/print darkroom the same
philosophy applied for 50 years. Then I went digital and exactly the same
method of shooting a "souping" still applies!

Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke) ([Leica] Darkroom versus In-camera Creativity was G1 AVAILABLE LIGHT)