Subject: [Leica] G1 AVAILABLE LIGHT
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 16:07:07 -0700

Victor Rubin showed:

Hi All:

I was invited to a private restaurant opening in Brooklyn, New York, in a

Russian Area. The place was filled to the brim with 20/30 something well off

Russian people- most of the women were blonde, tall and dressed to kill. The

men, shorter, stockier and talking business while the women socialized and

drank. With the fact that the G1 allows me to use fast lenses using the

Leica M adapter, I was able to shoot fairly candidly, using available light.

I enclose some of the results. Bests: vroger

http://v-images.smugmug.com/gallery/7556755_Lh3WE/2/515063070_hFp7F/Large

http://v-images.smugmug.com/gallery/7556755_Lh3WE/2/515073778_MHxTo/Large

http://v-images.smugmug.com/gallery/7556755_Lh3WE/2/515061680_C25yM/Large

http://v-images.smugmug.com/gallery/7556755_Lh3WE/2/515107899_d23Nb/Large

http://v-images.smugmug.com/gallery/7556755_Lh3WE/2/515088298_LSmTN/Large

And with Leica Glass at another venue:

http://v-images.smugmug.com/gallery/7556755_Lh3WE/1/515116411_r5xq8/Large<<<
<,

Well done Victor,

Nothing like available light when it's done well!  I've always believed in..
"If you can see it. You can shoot it!" The only thing required is the guts
to shoot at high ASA or ISO and wide open if necessary and not whine about
the grain. But enjoy the quiet stolen magical moment of content!

If one requires 1600 or whatever it takes to capture the interesting moment
go for it! I always worked at the lowest ASA to require a properly exposed
image without adding to the grain-push factor. In other words, if I could
shoot the scenes using 800, then we used 800. However if it took 3200 we
used 3200! And came home with pictures others did not have because they were
blathering on about grain. Of course they'd have their flash on camera
images with about as much impact as a wet dish towel.

Your efforts are wonderful, Good on you.

ted