Subject: [Leica] Darkroom versus In-camera Creativity was G1 AVAILABLE LIGHT
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:16:25 -0700

Philip. offered:

>>>>Not a big Ansel Adam's fan then.<<<

Naw by the time you do all that farting and fiddling around one sheet of
film at a time I'd have spent three days in the middle of a war some place!
:-) And home souping film. :-)

Not to say I didn't like some of his wonderful technically correct
photographs! A great rock & fern shooter no question!  :-)

>>>I've been thinking (again), when I had

a high contrast night scene, (lots of balloons doing a tethered night

glow to music), then I shot on 400 pulled to 100 and then developed in

rodinal, because that was the only way of getting what was on the scene

onto a neg, since the contrast between the lit balloon, the people on

the ground lit by ambient, the burning flames shooting up (till was a

sod to burn in). But that was shooting so that the most realistic scene

was appearing on the neg, so I had to go to a lot of trouble and use my

darkroom knowledge to get what I had seen recorded.<<<<

Well to each his own! :-)

the "darkroom",

flat low contrast raw files all round.<<<<

As I said it's to each his own, but I'd much rather be shooting and
traveling to new locations than spending any more time than I do before a
computer screen, See I'm a photographer first, foremost and always! The
techie stuff is secondary if you do it right at the crucial moment of the
click in the camera! !

Dr. ted