Subject: [Leica] Cook's Illustrated
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 11:52:31 -0400

On Mar 29, 2009, at 8:33 AM, Leo wrote:

> I thought this editorial piece in Cooks Illustrated was a  nice
> little piece
> of writing and wanted to share it.
>
> http://www.cooksillustrated.com/byissue/default.asp?
> doctypeid=12&selDate=148

Despite the fact that it has nothing to do with food It is nice
writing indeed. It takes me back to my boyhood in a similar small
town in Indiana. The town was on one side of a lake and the main
highway running between South Bend and Indianapolis was on the other.
During the winter, adventurous motorists would drive directly across
the frozen ice to reach the highway, saving a gallon or so of
precious gasoline, which, I recall was priced at 20 cents a gallon.
This was during the depression and 20 cents was big money. A full
meal at the town's only diner cost 25 cents. My dad was the assistant
fire chief of our volunteer fire department and head of the rescue
squad. Regardless of the calendar, the Spring season commenced when
the first car broke through the ice and my dad had to dispatch a
couple of volunteers to retrieve the driver and passengers.

Larry Z