Subject: [Leica] OT: analog video8 to DVD transfer using a Mac - QUESTIONS to experts
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 10:18:04 -0500

Philippe,

While I am not familiar with the particular Pinnacle interface you are
using, I suspect that the problem may be in the software rather than the
hardware.  I am mostly used to Final Cut Pro, but it should be possible
to capture directly into iMovie with that capture card.  You then have
to export in a format that iDVD understands.  Both programs should come
with your Mac.  It may take a bit of digging to find the correct capture
and export settings.  If I recall correctly it is not exactly intuitive
how you change them.

DVDs normally use the MPEG-2 format, but I don't think iDVD takes that
directly.  You probably have to record in the DV format then let iDVD do
the conversion.

Another possibility is to use QuickTime Pro to do the capture.  The
upgrade to the Pro version costs $30 in the US.

I will try to remember to check tomorrow with a colleague at work who
uses a similar setup.  In the meantime, what software are you using to
capture the video?

Mike D