Subject: [Leica] OT: analog video8 to DVD transfer using a Mac - QUESTIONS to experts
From: philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD)
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:26:39 +0100

Mike Durling wrote:

> Philippe,
>
> While I am not familiar with the particular Pinnacle interface you are
> using, I suspect that the problem may be in the software rather than
> the hardware.  I am mostly used to Final Cut Pro, but it should be
> possible to capture directly into iMovie with that capture card.

Nope, unfortunately.
The card/interface comes with software that leaves little if not no
option to the user.
And when I open I-movie and try to import straight from the video
player, it fails to see the interface ...

> You then have to export in a format that iDVD understands.  Both
> programs should come with your Mac.  It may take a bit of digging to
> find the correct capture and export settings.  If I recall correctly
> it is not exactly intuitive how you change them.
>
> DVDs normally use the MPEG-2 format, but I don't think iDVD takes that
> directly.  You probably have to record in the DV format then let iDVD
> do the conversion.
>
> Another possibility is to use QuickTime Pro to do the capture.  The
> upgrade to the Pro version costs $30 in the US.

Do you think it could see the interface? sort of plug & play
So far the whole thing has been more like plug and fail  :-[

> I will try to remember to check tomorrow with a colleague at work who
> uses a similar setup.  In the meantime, what software are you using to
> capture the video?

The one that came with the card/interface, no choice there.
This is it : http://tinyurl.com/yroaym

Thanks in retrospect and in anticipation
Bien cordialement
Phili^^e

<http://tinyurl.com/yroaym>