Subject: [Leica] Erwin reviews new Summilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Feb 2 11:43:37 2009

A fact I experience directly as my  main lens the 12-24 goes by the wayside
as I go full frame. This lens has served me well for 5.4 years and cost just
over a grand new when it first came out I got it because I needed to be able
to be able to shoot as wide as I could before without the crop factor.
I got it knowing that I'd not be using it forever.
And that was a 21 ASPH on an M6.
And I must admit I had no idea how useful the ultrawide zoom would turn out
to be.

The M10 does not should like the near future to me.
It sounds ten years off. Hence the name.
By then Leica will be known for its S and R system and the rangefinder
system which had fallen by the wayside.

I'm hoping that after Leica went to all the trouble of making this new glass
- The three new lenses.....
And wants to sell more of them; they then buckle down to tackle the full
24x36 sensor problem. I'm not sensing they're even working on it now. That's
MY vibe on the whole thing.

By the way the replacement for the 12-24 f4 for me for when I go full frame
would be a Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D ED-IF for for 500 bucks seems like a
clunker of a lens. The 2.8 is HUGE its just not my style at all to have a
Yuban coffee can on the front of my camera.

Mark William Rabiner

I think that when they started R&D for the three new lenses there were 1000
film users out there. And now there are 500.