Subject: [Leica] WTB; Light Meter Pocket Wizard Compatible
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Fri Jan 16 08:36:40 2009

>   I am thinking the minimum would be the Sekonic L-358 but having the
> ability to use a meter as a spot meter would come in very handy indeed,

I thought that, too, until I bought the 758. I don't think I've ever used
the spot meter for a real photograph. I used it extensively while I was
reading the manual and learning how to use the meter. But not since. Maybe
it's that I learned photography with a Leica IIIf where I always metered off
the back of my hand, and so that's how I think about light.

The ability to take half a dozen incident light readings and combine them is
great. The ability to change the ISO and shutter speed after the fact and
get a new number without taking a new reading is truly great. (It separately
remembers the incident light value and the flash light value, and when you
change the shutter speed it recomputes its recommendation.)

But most of the time when I use this thing I am sitting on the posing stool
holding the meter in front of my neck and holding up a piece of cardboard to
block the light from this or that strobe, so that I can get a sense of how
each strobe is contributing to the overall lighting. Having the light meter
itself be able to trigger the pocket wizards is phenomenally convenient. You
can do that with other meters by running a very long PC cord or by making a
little rig that combines the light meter
with a pocket-wizard transmitter, but I was trying to minimize the amount of
gear that I have to carry around with me.