Subject: [Leica] Cuba?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sun Jan 4 17:17:37 2009

        Good.

I do think they have more pressing matters to
> consider.

        I sure hope so.  It is a little like email encryption - I hope,
really hope, that NSA has more on its plate than my tax advice memoranda.

If you check the internet or stockphoto sites, there are
> thousands of photos of Cuba by US photographers.  In fact, it is
> legal to go to Cuba as a photojournalist, student, or professional
> photographer working on a project so I don't think you would have a
> problem there.

        I am none of those categories.  The SOS site says that you must be
connected with a news employer.  From what I have "read", the offense is not
going there, but spending money there.  The issue is that I, and others with
licensure requirements, have a lot to lose.

        But if you go, I'll love to see the photos.  Now I have loaned my
copy of Havana 1933 or at least can't locate it in the stacks.

Best,

Ken