Subject: [Leica] (SPAM: ?) Micro four thirds - Panasonic or Oly
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Dec 17 14:25:55 2008

The fact remains while the rest of the serious photography is burgeoning
into bigger and bigger formats in digital e.g. 24x36 with easily obtainable
ISO's many stops above 1600; Or the Leica S2's 30 x 45 mm.... or medium
digital classic.
You'd be going down a step in format and only be able to hold your head
above water with anti vibration features as you'd be shooting it ISO's
barely above 400 if that having loads of fun with third party noise plug ins
in front of your computer monitor.
The 4/3 format now that they've redone their specs and come out with the
micro version can now make cameras in a size relative to the size of its
format.
Small
Which should be half the size of APS-C which is within a millimeter or two
of HALF FRAME.
So 4/3's is in effect HALF HALF FRAME.
Do you get more on a roll?
Not an issue but :
CAN you put it in your pocket?
Is a very big issue.

And you still can't quite.

Because a small format cameras can only justify its existence by being
small.
Mr. Yoshihisa Maitani taught us that in 1972 when he came out with the OM1
and send the rest of them back to the drawing boards when we should have
already learned it in the 20s from Oscar Barnack
Whoe went to HIS drawing board ("I have an idea!") and came out with two
prototypes (one for Ernst, he wanted to shoot too!) in 1913 which
revolutionized photography by making a camera you could take excellent shots
with and put in your pocket. Which was 1925; the summer of love. 1000 of
them. They sold.
No pocket
No Leica.

A camera in your pocket beats one in the bush...
Or at least one out standing in the field

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner