Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 upgrade - 90 Cron APO focusing problems now Question????
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Sun Dec 14 07:37:20 2008

Thanks to all for the explanations.  Film/sensor and lens design all play a
role, it looks like.  I would think the film vs. sensor would also effect
SLR's, since focusing is not on the film itself.  But shouldn't the focus
shift as you stop a lens down also effect an SLR?  I am assuming that the
SLR focuses (auto or manual) with the lens wide open, then stops the lens
down to take the photo.  So, this should have the same effect as say
focusing accurately on a rangefinder for whatever aperture the coupling is
accurate, then taking the picture at some different aperture?  Does this
sound right, or is my retired brain not working correctly?

Aram

> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:00:04 -0800
> From: Peter Klein <pklein@threshinc.com>
> Subject: Re. [Leica] M8 upgrade - 90 Cron APO focusing problems now
>       Question????
> To: lug@leica-users.org
>
> In my previous post, I put in an ASCII diagram illustrating focus
> tolerance
> on film vs. a sensor, and messed it up.  Here is a screen clip which
> will
> show things correctly:
>
> http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/temp/FilmVsSensorFocus.gif
>
> --Peter