Subject: [Leica] Half stop, third stop, stop the madness
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat Dec 13 20:19:19 2008

No, it actually is MORE than 1/2 stop, not less, and way more than 1/3
stop. Remember, f/4 is already a full stop down from  f/2.8, so the
jump from f/2.8 to f3.5, already well over halfway numerically, is way
more geometrically.

Squaring the reciprocal of the f-ratio gives a number that is
proportional to the aperture's area.
A full stop is an areal ratio of 2, corresponding to a ratio between f-
ratios equal to the square root of 2. A half-stop is an areal ratio of
sqrt (2), about 1.4, corresponding to a ratio between f-ratios equal
to sqrt(sqrt( 2)), about 1.189.

2.8 x 1.189 = about 3.3.
3.3 x 1.189 = about 3.9.
So 1/2 stop down from f/2.8 is about f/3.3, with another equal-
proportion areal step down to f4.

One-third of a stop is an areal ratio of the cube root of 2 (for three
equal-proportion areal steps from one full stop to the next),
corresponding to a ratio between f-ratios equal to the cube root of
sqrt(2), or about 1.12.

2.8 x 1.12 = about 3.1.
3.1 x 1.12 = about 3.47.
3.47 x 1.12 = about 3.9.
So 1/3 of a stop down from 2.8 is about f/3.1, with two more equal-
proportion areal steps down to f4.

So from f/2.8 to f3.5 is actually 2/3 stop. Unless you were talking
about going from f/4 to f/3.5, which is 1/3 stop. (If you turn it
around and take 4/1.12, you get 3.57. The numbers are rounded because
they're irrational except for the alternate full stops f/1, 2, 4, 8,
16..., as well as approximated in order to give numbers ending in an
even digit or a 5.)

--howard

Replies: Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Half stop, third stop, stop the madness)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Half stop, third stop, stop the madness)