Subject: [Leica] Re: F stops
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Dec 13 20:00:22 2008

F stops, f stops, f stops. The weather is so lousy in the US
northeast. The only photographic subjects in my area are
grandchildren and rain drops on the windowpane. We are back to
discussing how many angels can dance on the point of a pin.

Anyway, in theory, opening a lens by one stop lets in twice as much
light. Opening it by 1/2 stop lets in 1.414 times as much light (i.e.
the square root of 2). A half stop increase from f3.5 would be f2.94.
A f2.8 lens lets in 1.56 times as much light as an f3.5 lens, about
10% more than a 1/2 stop increase. Bear in mind that these
differences in lens opening are much smaller than the tolerance in
mechanical Leica shutter speeds. I don't know about electronically
controlled shutters but I felt lucky if my M3 shutter could be
adjusted to plus or minus 20% of the nominal speed.

Movie makers have it much easier. The exposure is usually determined
by an open sector in a shutter disc directly geared to the carefully
controlled film transport mechanism. The lenses are calibrated in T
stops which are based on the actual transmission of light through the
lenses. Bell and Howell tried using T stops on its ambitious Foton
camera. To no avail. Still camera makers insisted on using f stops
because it made for numbers which implied faster lenses. Score one
for the marketing departments.

Larry Z