Subject: [Leica] 'Eisie', Keller & Marc
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sat Dec 13 07:32:13 2008

Marc, I haven't seen any record whatever of Eisenstaedt making this remark,
only 'hearsay' by Emil Keller reporting it. I'd be interested in any other
apochrypha you may have found. That said, I am extremely skeptical that
either AE or Leitz would go to this trouble and expense to get just
one-third of a stop [to f/2,8] when AE had such easy access to everything
Leitz made, including the 50mm f/1,5 Summarit, an improvement of 1 1/2 full
stops. He was too much a professional to have gone to such a potentially
low-light shoot without adequate preparation. My guess - it's a guess only -
is that in such low light he would have taken and used a Summarit or at
least Summitar or early Summicron (depending upon when in the 50's this
purported event took place) to be certain to get his photographs, foregoing
the wider angle of a 35mm. As well, it strains credulity to think that on
the spot, at the tournament, he would have had the time to get a lens to
Leitz/New York, had them get permission from Wetzlar to do the 'fix'
(without which ELNY would not have dred to commit such a sacrilege!), have
them do the fix and get back into the room to complete his shoot. I don't
think so. Rather think it is all very cute whimsy

Further, Leitz did not 'open-up' the 50mm 3,5 Elmar to 2,8. While both are
Tessar triplets, they are different optical designs, as you will see by
looking at the drawings in Lager's, Puts' and Rogliatti's books. Jim reports
that the first 50/3,5 Elmar was introduced in1926 and produced continually
until at least 1954 when the first M-mount 50/3,5 Elmar was made. The f/2,8
was introduced in 1957 using what appears to be a mount similar if not
identical to the f/3,5 except for the glass retaining rings but with an
improved optical design employing the newer Leitz and Schott glasses that
permitted not only greater speed but much better correction of aberrations.

My last on this thread.

Seth