Subject: [Leica] A Sad Tale of Woe: E Leitz 1945 - 1960 was, something else
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Dec 12 18:44:46 2008

At 03:13 PM 12/12/2008, Seth Rosner wrote:
 >Interesting story, Larry. What lengths we go to for an image! Of course it
 >is a half-stop difference twixt 2,8 and 3,5. But I'll take your bet on the
 >older 2,8s being really 3,5s. That's not the way E.Leitz worked then or
 >Leica Camera works now. The 2,8 was introduced in 1958 simultaneously with
 >the first 8-glass 35/2 Summicron and the 90/2 Summicron and Leitz was
 >justifiably proud of these three ground-breaking lenses. There would have
 >been no sense in introducing a warmed-over, inferior performing
 >stretched-diaphragm lens with a brand-new 35mm 2,8 lens in the offing.
 >Take
 >a look at the lenses physically and you'll see the differences. And while
 >both are six-glass Gauss formulas, their cross-sections are visibly
 >different.

Seth

With all respect, at the time, E Leitz Wetzlar
was only beginning to recover from the economic
horrors caused by the Second World War and by the
extraordinary cost to develop and produce the M
film cameras which so many of the LUG, so they
would do anything at all to stay afloat.  But I
do believe that you are correct and none of my
literature suggests otherwise than that you have
set out the true story with regard to the 3.5cm (NOT 35mm, mind you!)
Summaron.

I believe that Larry confused this lens with the
3.5/5cm and 2.8/5cm Elmars.  Apocrypha has it
that ELNY technicians attended a  major chess
championship match in your burg around 1950 (I
can dredge the details:  while I play the games,
I follow neither championship Bridge nor
Chess.)  The tale has it that the lighting was
dim and that Eisie told the technicians that he
was having problems getting images suitable for
publication, and that the technicians then told
him that the lens would work well at f/2.8 and
opened it up one-third of a stop (not half a
stop, Larry) by adjusting the f-stop
detents.  They reported this to Wetzlar, who
followed up by opening the Elmar to f/2.8 in production.

There has been a lot of ink spilt on this
matter.  Is the tale true?  Eisie said so but
others have dissented.  I discussed it once with
Jim Lager who said that we will probably never
know.  Bob Schwalberg told me that the story must
be true, as Eisie never inflated any of the
accounts of his life.  Ed Meyers has backed this
up.  I do not know but the optical design of the
f/3.5 and f/2.8 versions of the 5cm Elmar appear
identical, so it might well be.

I acknowledge that Leitz/Leica has always been a
company with a dedication to the utmost
quality.  At the same time, it is a commercial
concern and simply has to make money to ensure
that its creditors are paid and that its
employees got their paychecks.  The fat days were
between 1958 and 1968, when the Leitz family
earned a hefty income from the success of the M
cameras, monies which they lost in the 1970's as
they tried to keep the firm afloat.  If there are
memorials in heaven for moral and committed
capitalists, the Leitz family certainly deserves
a plaque, right alongside those for Heinz
K?ppenbender and both Franke and Heidecke.

Post-War Germany was POOR and the "Economic
Miracle" was a decade away.  We in the US cannot
understand this.  Take one example.  Following VE
Day, the management of the KdF-Wagen plant in
Wolfsburg (now, VW) were most uncertain of their
fate.  Senior management had fled as most were on
the War Crimes List.  The Allies had indicated
that the plant was to be seized and its machinery
turned over to the Soviets.  There was no money
coming in.  There were bills to pay.  There was
no money in the bank.  VW sirvoved through some
sagacious decisions by the remaining
management.  The plant had been bombed and they
worked a deal iout with the British Army,
Wolfsburg then being in the British Zone, for
some tentage, which they used to block the holes
it the roof.  The swap was for maintenance of
British trucks.  Industrial machinery is not
easily damaged by bombing:  aerial recon shots of
Tokyo show this well, with a drill-press or lathe
appearing in every fourth house, the houses being
burned to the ground.  Then they began swapping
steel and the like in return for KdF-wagens for
the British Army of the Rhine, as it came to be
called.  That kept the company afloat in terms of
income and outgo but what about the
workers?  Management went to the extent of going
to the local banks and guaranteeing the debts of
its employees.  For four years, the employees
were paid in British Army rations together with a
statement of the monies owned them.  In 1947, VW
exported three cars to the US.  By 1948, VW was
making enough to allow it to pay off all that
promised money to the banks and to begin
investing in a new roof for its principal factory.  The rest is history.

E Leitz and Franke und Heidecoe received a pass
from the Allies due to their Warttime resistance
to the use of slave labor, as did the Carl Zeiss
Foundation folks -- their head, Heinz
K?ppenbender, both was charged by the Nazis as
being delinquent in sending folks to the death
camps -and by the Allies as a war criminal, all
chres being dismissed -- ,  Lesson Two will
involve the imact of the friendly deal with the PX system.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] 'Eisie', Keller & Marc)