Subject: [Leica] M-lenses on M8 - A Question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Dec 10 15:44:09 2008

The f3.5 Summaron is no doubt a different ballgame from the 2.8 but I will
say I'm not experiencing any lack of contrast with it and is my most used
lens when shooting LTM which is my main mode of shooting Leica over the past
several years. Its results do not appear to be all that different from most
other lenes I've used. Some day I'll be working from top grade scans from
these negs or a digital M and make 17x22 prints from them but as of now I'd
recommend these lenes which are handy, accessible, not all that pricey and
at least "nice" performers. If the Leica fingerprint of this older design is
there its something which even in the darkroom I'd think would be dealable
by using a 3 contrast filter instead of a 2.5. Or another minute in the
developer. When working with scans you never as I said - see it. I'd not
mind a lens for me to use with some real noticeable different character.
Fore a different look. A distinctive fingerprint. My f3.5 Summaron gives me
farily normal results from all I can tell.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner