Subject: [Leica] IMG: Horned Grebe
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 20 19:58:18 2008

Geoff Hopkinson wrote:

>Doug that has that extraordinary sky reflection effect in the wake again.
>Truly elegant. Some sort of polarising effect?
>Look at the row of glistening water drops on the bird's back too. Amazing.

The low camera position has a lot to do with this effect.  The calm water is
reflecting the dry veggies on the shore behind the grebe, while the ripples
are reflecting the sky.  If I were not so low and the bird was close enough
for a good-sized image (this is un-cropped) I'd have been pointing the
camera downward and I'd get nothing but sky reflected in the water.  Being
in the water also helps get the shore behind the bird.  I was inspired to
use the kayak by Tim Fitzharris' waterfowl photos of many years ago where he
used a float tube to get in the water with his camera.
http://www.timfitzharris.com/

BTW I've learned that I may have mis-identified the grebe.  It is more
likely an Eared Grebe than a Horned Grebe.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG: Horned Grebe)