Subject: [Leica] A new set of photos
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Sep 16 14:26:34 2008

John Beeching said:

Subject: Re: [Leica] A new set of photos

Yes, taking photos of strangers in public places is not always easy.  I am a
shy person, but like people; however, one has to be in the mood - a sort of
on edge but relaxed - to do it at all.  Like everything else it takes
practice.<<<

Hi John,

How true! During the 50's - 60's one could very easily walk about shooting
away almost anywhere in Canada and many other countries. Certainly where
"picture taking" wasn't frowned upon from a religious or cultural situation.

I'd say for close to 30 years in Canada I could go any where big city or
rural and photograph life without being challenged in any manner other than
the odd question.. "Are you from the.?"  (whatever the local newspaper was.)
And that was it. Actually often a question asked led to invites to many
local events I might other wise have missed without the "newly met friend on
the street" told me about. Or even invited me to photograph a family event
about to happen.

TODAY?

There are times when it could cost you your life, a severe beating, all your
camera gear seized or stolen, challenging in your face real police, and
worst of all? The loud mouth boor rent a security mental midget buffoon with
the attitude of .. "YOU CAN'T TAKE PICTURES HERE AND GIVE ME YOUR FILM!" As
you stand quietly on some street enjoying a nice photo moment! This idiot is
usually twice your size, physically fat, as well as ugly! These people are
always beautiful photo subjects, obviously at your peril to aim the camera
in their direction.

So John when you post a collection of "street people today" I take my hat
off to you, as well the others who put their lives and gear at risk every
time you take to the streets. Certainly in many countries today!

It truly was a far better world 40 years ago for capturing life of the world
compared to these days. Good on you!

ted

Replies: Reply from johnbeeching at gmail.com (John Beeching) ([Leica] A new set of photos)