Subject: [Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon Sep 8 01:40:31 2008

Original message:

From: Luis Miguel Casta?eda Navas <octabod@gmail.com>

>I have worked for 25+ years on a wet one, and I still appreciate it
>for B&W far over digital (and I do high end stuff on both systems) for
>what I shoot, cannot tell the same about color where there is no point
>on handprinting.
My sentiments too (42 years wet darkroom experience).  I feel I've
accomplished
something tangible in the (B&W) darkroom.  For color that is meaningful to
me, I'll
shoot slides. I can't seem to get attached to 0's and 1's (Digital is de
rigueur  for clients;
I'm speaking of personal satisfaction).

Mies van der Rohe said, "God is in the details.", so I still can't get over
the fact that
at a micro level the digital process has turned any diagonal or curved image
elements
into squared-off pixels.  It just bothers me that these have saw-toothed
edges.
Film has grain, I know, but it's random and more closely supports an analog,
curvilinear reproduction.

If I had to work 40 hours a week in the darkroom, it wouldn't be fun.  But I
enjoy the
experience when I control the time spent there, amongst the smells, the
sound of
running water and music, and the charm of seeing the image appear.  It's
like a vacation
from work, where I sit in front of a monitor more than I would like.  In a
darkroom there is also
the opportunity for physical activity while waiting for the processes -
moving to the music, etc.  ;~)

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee