Subject: [Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice? + Darkrooms
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon Sep 8 12:53:45 2008

 -----Original Message-----
> From: Yama Nawabi

> So I am almost ready to start printing at my house..  What
> information should I know to start printing? Does anyone have any useful
> links I should start reading?
> ------------
> Yama Nawabi
If you are preparing a space for printing, paint it white, or cream, NOT a
dark color.
That will make it much easier to work in.  No fluorescent lights, just
tungsten
fixtures.
The first darkroom I worked in was at the UWM Post student newspaper's
basement
(an old laundry room) in a house off-campus that was next to an alley.
There was a ventilating fan above the sink, covered in black paper to keep
the light out,
but it didn't do much to stop cold air in the winter.  On cold days a breeze
would sweep down
over the developing trays, and form a thin sheet of ice crystals on the
chemicals.  I used my
hands to develop prints, so after a while the warmth of my fingers would
melt the ice, but until then,
I'd have to crunch through with each sheet of paper.

The Beseler 4x5 enlarger was a a wreck, with a lower negative stage that
hung down
so that for each negative we would have to use a C-clamp to bring it back up
tight and parallel with
the lens plane.  This also meant dusting metal filings off the easel every
now and then.  And the PAKO
rotary print dryer was all rusty, could barely turn, and had a stained
canvas belt.

I think learning how to make decent prints under these conditions helped
later when I got to use good
facilities.

My first job after graduation was running a public darkroom in a newly-built
addition to the student union.
This is where I learned of the wrong way to set up a printing room.  Whoever
designed this space had no clue.
The walls and ceiling were dark brown, with two X-ray film safelights (!)
mounted flush in the ceiling.  All counters
and partitions were made of black, glossy material, so with the dark walls
and weak, incorrect safelights, it was
impossible to see anything.  If you dropped a negative within an enlarging
cubicle, it would disappear on the
black surface; if it fell on the floor, good luck - the floor was also
black.  There was also no tempered water supply.
I eventually got a Thomas safelight installed, but the rest of the problems
remained.

When I got married, I converted my old basement bedroom at my parent's house
to a darkroom.  One of the features
I'm thankful for is an Arkay rotary dryer that my father bought (in mint
condition) at a rummage sale.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee