Subject: [Leica] Hybrid Photography
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan)
Date: Tue Jul 29 22:44:27 2008

By coincidence, I have been going through my scans from the late
1990s until 2003 during the past week. Specifically, I have copied
them from the hundreds of CDs onto an external HD (all TIFF files),
and as I write this, I am importing them into Lightroom. The CDs are
up to 10 years old, but since they were the Kodak gold CDs, they have
all held up, without exception. Our of about 3000 images, there were
2 corrupted files, both on another brand CD (also gold, but not
Kodak, ironically only 5 years old).

It is fun to look at the old images in Lightroom, but they will need
some work. The scanned film is not equal by any means to the DSLR
images I make now. The one exception are the IR images, which are
better than anything I have seen done with digital capture.

Dan, I think you should spring for the TIFF files. They take up more
space of course, but I assume your lab can do DVDs as well as CDs.
You will have much more headroom to work with 16-bit files (instead
of the 8-bit JPEGs).

Nathan