Subject: [Leica] Orphan Works - . A MUST READ EVERYONE! :-( DON'T CRYLATER!YOU WERE WARNED!!!
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon May 12 07:37:57 2008

Frank,Perhaps some more data will help explain the pain.  Under current law,
if an image is registered a photographer has tremendous power.
 Specifically, you send a demand letter for what for you is three times
normal usage.  If they fail to pay then you take them to court; the current
default damages rate is in excess of $300,000 per instance of theft.
 Lawyers will take these cases on contingency as with a registered image
there is almost no defense. (Congress changed the law on or about 1987 so
that no marking was necessary on the work of art to prove damages; this was
mostly for Disney as the mouse was going out of copywrite).

The new law is in response to some unfairness in the previous revision, but
again the rich and powerful do not want the expense of paying for stealing
other peoples work.  With some revisions it could be a useful compromise in
protecting producers while finding a middle ground for those who mistakenly
use an image that is copywritten.

--
Don
don.dory@gmail.com