Subject: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan 4000 Users.... I need help!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat May 3 22:58:21 2008

> Which is why most folks seeking digital imaging as an end result
> moved to digital capture.
> When I shot film and had images drum scanned by others it was a dream.
> When I had to start scanning myself - not so dreamy - doable - decent
> results possible - just like in the darkroom:
> practice, learn, practice, practice.
> Then there's the matter of acquiring the best possible scanner.
> If one is going to go through all the effort to scan film; the image
> files and prints should look as good as those produced in the
> darkroom; which requires some top notch hardware and software as well
> as an accomplished technician. I've also thousands of negatives I'd
> love to turn digital - is it practical?
> I haven't taken my darkroom apart because in this day and age it
> seems to me that film is best handled traditionally. I have, just
> last week, made my darkroom smaller. The 4x8 sink is gone. No more
> 30x40 prints ;~(
>

> Fond regards,
> George

I agree.
Scanning is a big deal takes lots of practice.
Even if we don't have our film cameras working in the present we do have our
body of word (negs) which could go back decades. In my case back to 1965.
Hang up those babies, those 17x22s up on the wall next to the captures from
your M8 or DSLR and see if one outshines the other. I'm not sure if one
would I think now from all I've seen so far.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com