Subject: [Leica] Digital vs Analog and lenses
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Apr 25 12:56:13 2008

One thing I've noticed in digital is that lenses are either good or bad.
It's just like a byte. It's either high or low, on or off, good or bad.
I can put a lens on a digital camera and size it up pretty quickly.
Pretty much all the new zooms are decent. They have to be. Even the
inexpensive ones are good...though slow.

With film lens quality seems more analogous to analog, just like film
itself. Lenses get better or worse. But there's not such a distinct
cutoff. It's not "sharp or unsharp". It's "sharper or less sharp". Or a
lens may have other desirable characteristics.

It just seems that with digital a lens either has it or it doesn't.
There's no middle ground.

Same with cameras. With digital newer will always be better. I can't
imagine anyone every going retro with digital, like a person might still
today have fun with a Leica SM, and even turn out photos that rival
those from newer cameras. "Classic" is likely a word that will never be
attached to a digital camera. At least not in the film sense. Digital
retro will be nothing more than a software plugin.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Digital vs Analog and lenses)