Subject: [Leica] M8 and the WAR
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Jun 13 09:49:59 2008

Gene wrote:

>>I only collect what I can use.  ;-)<<

I felt that way, too. But stuff happens. I was in Portland, Ore last
week, for the first time in a year. I dropped by my favorite shop Pro
Photo Supply. They're mostly digital now, but someone had 3 Rollei TLRs
-- a GX, F2.8 Planar, and Rolleicord -- there on consignment. The GX was
gorgeous, but I succumbed to the far less expensive 2.8F. It came with a
Rolleikin 2, Rolleinar, hood, filters, case. It even had a "Sheet Film
and Plate Adapter and Optical Glass Film Plate" for shooting 2 1/4 x 3
1/4 sheet film.

I told myself some time ago that I wouldn't buy anymore film equipment,
even though I primarily shoot film (BW). But the camera and accessories
were all in original boxes complete with manuals. The leather case and
even the strap looked used. Perhaps after all these years in photography
I've become a collector. Ouch! :-).

I am going to cut some 120 to try out the sheet film adaptor, and also
give the Rolleikin a try for kicks. Also, the filters -- which is why I
really bought the stuff :-) -- will fit my 2.8C Xenotar. I needed a dark
red Bay III because I'm shooting Rollei 400IR in 35mm with good results
and I want to try it in 120. My 2.8C is currently with Harry Fleenor for
a CLA. He's great to work with BTW.

The greatest thrill in photography, for me at least, still is seeing an
image appear under a safelight. I also seem to do my best work with
Rolleiflexes and Leica Ms and film.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from chehl at comcast.net (Charles Hehl) ([Leica] M8 and the WAR)
Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] M8 and the WAR)