Subject: [Leica] IMG: M8 BW conversion
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Apr 23 16:15:21 2008

Mark, both Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw have this functionality in their
current versions, I believe. They also share the same conversion engine
anyway. It is truly a marvel. ACR will even extend this capability to jpg
and TIFF files, although there of course you do not have the Raw files
original power. Even better, within Photoshop CS3 you can obtain a
non-destructive adjustment layer specifically for BW conversion (still in 16
bit mode) with a couple of clicks. There are a number of preset options
simulating various filters. You can vary each colour channel etc within
those presets as you wish, too. Even better, by pointing within the preview
with your cursor at a specific tonal range, say green trees for example, you
can selectively adjust the filtration within that range, previewed in real
time within the overall conversion. Do all of that and you can continue to
manipulate that layer with no damage to the original for as long as you keep
it separate. Add to that you can also control the opacity of the corrective
layer.
I am in heaven. I had researched a number of progressively more complex
conversion methods before starting to learn these new programs. Instead,
these capabilities offer enormous control and variety and are extremely easy
to access. Every option I could possibly want or learn to use well.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/