Subject: [Leica] IMG: the episode in which Hoppy becomes a criminal
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Apr 23 16:58:49 2008

Thanks for looking Ken. I may respond off list in the matter of contact
counselling for the foolish.
On list, I think that the subject of the conversion is worthy.
I try to capture as much tonal information as I can at the start and not
discard any of it at the outset. This includes not routinely underexposing
nor taking the clipping warnings as gospel. Those are two other technical
discussions. All exposure adjustment done within ACR which is working with
the original linear tonal information. This is less destructive; another
technical discussion. Of course you must still meter sensibly.
See my other post for comments on the conversion process.
What I am finding is that the M8 gives me superb high quality files and the
dynamic range is much better than I expected, much better than scanning
slide film as I was before.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e