Subject: [Leica] Canon DSLR R lens use/exposure inconsistencies
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed Mar 19 01:42:42 2008

This was sent to me by Bob Palmieri a while back (thanks Bob), he got it
from someone at Canon.

The EOS 20D focusing screen is optimized for superior brightness at
moderate apertures from about f/3.5 and smaller, compared to
conventional ground glass designs. This makes the viewfinder image
brighter and easier to focus at those moderate apertures, but the
trade-off is that it passes disproportionately more light to the
metering system. When a Canon EF lens is mounted to an EOS camera, a
variable  exposure compensation factor (a program curve, not just a
fixed compensation factor) for this phenomenon is fed through the system
in order to provide correct metering for all apertures. However, when
using a non-coupled manual diaphragm lens as you describe, no such
communication takes place, so the responsibility for exposure
compensation reverts to you. It's unnecessary to use an external meter.
Instead, you can take a series of test shots at the working aperture(s)
you plan to use, then analyze the test photos to determine the most
desirable exposure compensation factor for each aperture. The 20D's auto
exposure bracketing (AEB) function speeds up the process of taking the
test photos, and you can use the Info palette in Photoshop to determine
the most accurate exposure. If you can standardize on one particular
aperture you plan to use (for maximum sharpness, desired depth of field,
etc.), that will simplify the calibration process by eliminating the
need for tests at other apertures.

Cheers
Douglas