Subject: [Leica] IMG: Inside a B-17 (attention WWII buffs)
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Feb 16 15:46:55 2008

While on vacation in southern California, I visited the Palm Springs Air
museum.  They had a still-flyable B-17 on exhibit, and I took a tour of
it.  I was able to crawl around inside and get some decent shots.  Since I
know there are a lot of WWII buffs on the list, I thought I'd share.

I must say that experiencing this airplane from the inside left me very
moved, and with an even greater appreciation for "the greatest
generation."  It really brought home what flying must have been like at
that time.  No pressurization, no cabin heating.  Much of the control is
via cables attached to various levers that the pilots pull. Your body is
physically part of the aircraft. At around 30,000 feet, air is
unbreathable, and it's about 40 degrees below zero (F or C, take your
pick). You wear an oxygen mask, plug your electrically-heated long
underwear to a power jack at your station, and hope the other side doesn't
shoot out your #2 engine, which has the generator.  You're flying at
200-300 mph, the fighters opposing you are faster, and your guns are all
manually aimed.

The B-17 from outside:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002646-prf_001.jpg.html

Bombardier's station, equipped with the famous Norden bombsight. The latter
was a state-of-the art optical device, equipped with gyroscopes and a
mechanical analog computer.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002649-prf.jpg.html

Cockpit:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002651-prf.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002654-prf.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002657-prf.jpg.html

Bomb bay (I could just about squeeze through here sideways):
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002661-prf.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002662-prf.jpg.html

Radio operator's station:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002663-prf.jpg.html

I actually knew these radio receivers.  We used to convert them into cheap
ham radios in the 60s:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002664-prf.jpg.html

Transmitters.  You can see some of the airplane's control cables threaded
through the ribs of the airframe on the upper right.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002665-prf.jpg.html

Side machine gun:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002668-prf.jpg.html

Middle of the aircraft, looking towards the front.  You can see two side
machine guns and the top of the ball turret gunner's station that protruded
from the underbelly of the aircraft.  My guide is gesturing to another
guest in the background.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002674-prf.jpg.html

Tail gunner's station.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002678-prf.jpg.html
Of course, it made me think of "Tail Gunner Joe." So in the spirit of
extreme irony. . .
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002679-prf.jpg.html

Photo taken lying on my back on the tarmac, looking up into the open bomb
bay:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002681-prf.jpg.html

More outside views of the plane:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002686-prf.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002692-prf.jpg.html

My guide (he was from Brooklyn, yuh know whaddeyemean?)  Great guy!
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002687-prf.jpg.html

This propeller was on a different aircraft, but I like it:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002694-prf.jpg.html

Cautionary sign inside the museum:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/palmsprings/L1002696-prf.jpg.html

These are records, not art. It was a very high contrast situation, and some
blown highlights were unavoidable to keep detail in the interior. M8,
mostly with 28/3.5 V/C Skopar, a few with the 35/2 Summicron v.4.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn) ([Leica] IMG: Inside a B-17 (attention WWII buffs))
Reply from bill at grimwood.net (Bill Grimwood) ([Leica] IMG: Inside a B-17 (attention WWII buffs))
Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] IMG: Inside a B-17 (attention WWII buffs))