Subject: [Leica] 15 Zeiss
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Feb 9 18:29:55 2008

Jerry, in my profession accurate estimation of distances is very
important. I'm an architect and certified to act as a building
inspector for complex buildings in this area, and if you can't
estimate distances and dimensions in my profession, you can't do your
job well. I can tell when an exit is not wide enough by an inch,
almost every time. Contractors, engineers and everyone else usually
is also able to estimate distances accurately.

Strange how everyone on a job, including me, still carry measuring tapes.

We also have to be able to read and comprehend what other people write.

As I noted before, it depends on what's needed.

I use my SWC 98% of the time handheld, and it's great for that.
However, the GG back still comes in useful at times.

When I use a Superwide lens on a 35mm camera, most of the time dof
takes care of things, and estimation is just fine. But no lens, and I
mean no lens has very good distance scales. If I want to set 7'10",
and I can estimate it accurately, I still can't set it accurately if
the distance scale only has markings at 5' and 10'. The estimation
error and setting errors add up, and the best focus cannot be achievd
by estimation. Sometimes, and I stress that, sometimes it's important.

Most of the time estimation etc is just fine. It's just that if I pay
something like the price of the 15 Zeiss I'd like to have the option.