Subject: [Leica] 15 Zeiss
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Feb 9 13:16:00 2008

While all of this is of course, correct, there is a few sets of
pre-conditioning going on......

To us a SWC with  the GG back this is what you need to do......

1) Take a tripod with you.
2) Carry the GG back
3) Carry some form of focusing magnifier  ( could be another lens, a pair of
magnifying glasses or at least something
4) Carry a dark cloth or some form of light blocker ( otherwise known as a
right angle magnifier) to put on the GG back for image composition

Proceedure....
a) Set up tripod
b) Set up Camera on tripod
c) Take off film back and put it someplace ( not underfoot!)
d) Put on GG back.
e) Open lens on B
f) Compose, focus
g) close lens, set shutter timing
h) remove GG back
i) Put on Film back
j) Expose. + Crank the film on.

What does Marks solution of zone focusing take?
a) point camera
b) estimate distance or Hyperfocal set the lens to begin with.
c) set lens focus
d) shoot
e)  Wind film on.

The difference is the same as using a view camera ( which is what t he SWC
is when you use a GG) vs a 35mm camera.

While Henning is right about accurate focus, it all depends on what you
want, and what your client wants the images for and what you are allowed to
do in the taking venue.

I can use a SWC off had in a Museum that does not allow tripods.  But I can
not use that same camera in that same museum if I want to GG focus.

Been there, been asked to stop, done that

It is an apples and oranges comparison.....  Both work, but for different
applications.  GG focus or Guestimate focus.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Henning Says......

Replies: Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] 15 Zeiss)