Subject: [Leica] lens rumors
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri Feb 8 22:10:06 2008

I guess I did a poor job of explaining myself....

The M8 has a small sensor, therefore the angle of view is more "telephoto"
than on a fill frame sensor.  Therefore, to get a real wide, wide angle
lens, Leica needed to produce a real wide lens.  IMO, that response was the
WATE.  ( yes, I know it covers full frame as well.....).  Now assume that
the WATE is not wide enough for your kind of photography.......on an M8.
Will you get a wider lens from Leica on your M8?

Now that Leica is on the path of a full frame sensor, and the WATE will
cover that sensor as well, there is no reason for them to create a new
single focal length lens that is as wide or wider than the WATE.  Too small
a market.  The market would be for M8 users ( that do not want to upgrade to
the FF sensor when/if that ever happens).

The ZI 18 is a big honking piece of glass.  Rather pricey as well.  Leica
already has a 21 ASPH.  The difference?  18mm = 90 degrees horizontal angle
of view.  21mm = 81.2 degrees.

Not a significant difference ( unless the wall behind you just will not
move...)....and the 21 ASPH is pretty big already.  So I doubt a single FL
18 is in the works.  ( May need to eat those words...)

My point it that the market for that extra 9 degrees is pretty small.  Is it
worth the R+D?  I doubt it.....and I would not put my R+D funds into it....

It is highly unlikely there ever will be a lens wider than 21mm for an M
anything camera, other than the WATE....

BTW.. the 16-18-21 WATE would have angle of view of...... 96.7 (16mm)  /  90
(18mm)   / and 81.2 (21mm) on a 24x36 frame
80.5  /  73.9   /  65.6   degrees horizontally on an M8.  ( basically the 16
on an M8 = a 21 on an M6).

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net