Subject: [Leica] lens rumors
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Feb 8 21:15:30 2008

Frank, lots of Leica folks out there hoping for new wide primes.
The WATE though is perfectly suitable (and more spectacular) for 24x36
sensors or film.
You have to be happy with 16-18-21. The lens is not bulky for what it does,
although the finder is relatively large and complex.
Again there though amazing for what it does. Frankly only the fact that
together they cost more here than an M8 is holding me back
personally.
Do you think that people are looking for wider than 16 (21 equiv) for the
current M8 sensor? I do not believe that Leica will
produce any lenses that are not equally suitable for film and digital M's.
I thought that the alternative in a prime might be a 16 of spherical design
with modest aperture and size. A less ruinous price tag
might be nice too. Don't forget that Zeiss charge MORE than Leica current
prime prices for their made in Germany 2.8 15 and this is
for a spherical design.
I have had a CV 25 and now the ZI Biogon C 4.5 21. In my view their prices
reflect their relative performance. Having said that the
ZI was about a third the cost of a new Summicron 28 asph., but on my first
couple of rolls of Provia that Zeiss (designed) 21 is
stunning. Contrast, resolution, colour rendition very like my Summicron to
my eye and the lack of distortion is amazing. I shall
post some samples soon. I note that they have a 18 mm cousin for it on the
books too. I see those two as Leica's competition in this
area, taking into account the new Leica emphasis on the Summarits. I can't
see any more exotics from them at the moment either. Roll
on Photokina I say!

Cheers
Geoff