Subject: [Leica] IMG: From the Cigar Box, WWII Bombers Seen in 1995
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan dimitrov)
Date: Thu Oct 18 09:41:00 2007

Funny thing about memories.
My mother's is quite different about those flights.
As a little girl she was sent to Belgrade during the war. It was an
open city, with a marginal German occupation garrison. Apparently
children were sent there from neighboring cities, and the surrounding
country side, for safety during the war.
Apparently in the autumn of 1944, on the flights back from Ploesti,
the American air force would drop bombs on the city of Belgrade.
Since the American air force did everything by the clock, the city
was bombed on a regular basis at the same time of the day. My mother
said, before the arrival of the bombers, they would be taken across
the river, and watch from a distance the bombing of the city. After
the Americans had left, they would be taken back to the city. All
with the hope that the homes of the families that they were staying
with weren't destroyed in the bombing.

s.d.