Subject: [Leica] George: 28mm Summicron IR problem
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Fri Oct 12 18:04:47 2007

3. IR and Lenses

?
In addition to the sensitivity of the sensor the quality of digtal
infrared depends on the characteristic of the lens.

For example, the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 typically produces a
pronounced hot spot as can be seen in the sample picture to the left.
The hot spot is a a result of internal reflections within the lens
produced by the lens' coatings. Some types of coating are not
transparent to near-infrared wavelengths.

The above was taken from a web site dedicated to Infra Red digital
photography. Quite a few lenses are listed which produce these hot
spots. The author did not include Leica lenses in the recommended or
hot spot producing lists.

Len