Subject: [Leica] re: portrait of elizabeth (mostly safe for work)
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sun Sep 30 15:11:38 2007

On Sep 30, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Kyle Cassidy wrote:

> Art is often the child of confused parents and finding out its
> lineage can, in my mind, be ruinous to the final product. Sometimes
> the juxtaposition of influences, random thoughts, bits of this and
> that, come from various places to create a sum greater than the
> whole of it's parts, sometimes not. For years, as a child, I was
> drawn to Wyeth's "Christina's World" -- I stared at a copy of it on
> a book cover for years, I had a print on my wall, wondering what
> she could possibly be doing in that field ... it was baffling and
> filled with possibilities ... when I was a freshman in college
> someone told me what it was -- the truth, the real deal, that
> Christina was a real person and she was indeed in that field for a
> very real reason and ... the magic was ruined -- the truth wasn't
> nearly as interesting as my imagination.
>
> as for the portrait of liz
>
>>> http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2007/liz-dress1.jpg
>
> if you google "medium" and "ectoplasm" and hit "images" all secrets
> will become apparent -- maybe the image will get funny, maybe it'll
> be ruined ... maybe it'll seem deeper, and you'll think we're
> esoteric, or clever, or maybe you just won't care what my friends
> and i do on lazy sunday afternoons when all the netflix have been
> sent back and the laundry has been done.
>
> But as for Liz, who just turned 34, I'm sure she'll be happy to
> hear she could pass for 23 :-)

indeed correct Kyle, more than correct...since she as photographed
looks roughly 14-16 yo...

by choice I guess...

(I looked at her web site, so I knew she was 33yo.

So why did you and she make her look 20 years younger...and put her
into that setting...?

Why indeed?

The answer can indeed be found in google...more likely in the words

ambiguity, titillation, exploitation, opportunism...

Steve