Subject: [Leica] New Yorker fact checkers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Sep 23 20:38:26 2007

> (calling) : Mark!
> (whispering to Mark's ear) : There's no baking powder, no soda in
> pancakes. Just barley flour, water, and that's all. Maybe a little fat,
> but I'll check on that with a Breton I know.
> (loud) : Sounds interesting, indeed! Some people experiment lots of
> things these days. I myself, usually only use eggs, salted butter, milk,
> and wheat flour. But in truth, I must admit that people in Britanny say
> I don't know a thing about pancakes. Well, so says my daughter's friend.
>
> Enjoy your pannequets, whatever the recipe, Mark.
> Good to share the addiction with you in any case.
> Ever had chesnut cream with them?
>
> Yours
> Phil...x

Not sure how French the Settlement Cookbook is Philippe

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Half teaspoon soda (I assume baking soda)
Half teaspoon salt  (I know; the silent killer)
1 cup buttermilk
    (the grocery guy says its the wrong season for buttermilk try the spring
so I give up)
One nice egg

Another recipe in this book with no buttermilk has baking powder but not
baking soda.

Not looking for unleavened pancakes.
not making a quick exodus from Egypt.
I have time to let them rise.