Subject: [Leica] Steve Unsworth PAW - week 33
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Sep 9 14:53:25 2007

At 05:35 PM 9/9/2007, you wrote:
>The M8 has a pretty big dynamic range, especially in the shadows. Recently
>I've started using the camera with compensation of -1/3 of a stop to control
>any possible highlight blowing.
>
>Steve

Steve -  I used to do that, too, but after viewing a tutorial by Jeff
Schewe about digital photography and color management, I'm having
second thoughts.  He advises to be sure the histogram is balanced to
the right.  He says that highlights contain much more recoverable
information than shadows and that, even if the highlights look blown
in the preview, they can be recovered in RAW files.  Overexposing
slightly gives you much less noise in the shadows.  He says always
bias the exposure as far as you can to the right without completely
blowing out the highlights. The only time you shouldn't follow this
advice is when using high ISOs because then you would just choose a
lower ISO to get the same effect.  I haven't experimented with this
enough to know how it works, but I'm going to try it.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
http://www.tinamanley.com